Heirisson Happenings
From President Don;
Advances in communication.
At our last meeting, we were fortunate to have a good friend of Don’s and Jim’s, Matthew Saunders speak to us about some of the advances in communication, in remote sensing and data management.  Matthew is the General Manager of Unidata Pty Ltd which is owned by National Institute of Atmospheric Research (NIWA), the premier New Zealand Research body for Water and Atmospheric related Research. NIWA is a large corporate entity and Institute owned by the Government of New Zealand, employing hundreds of scientists and engineers.
Matthew exploded some myths – primarily that satellites are very important for communication, and he said that in fact, satellites carry only about 1.5% of the communication across the world.  The other 98.5% is carried by deep sea cables which has enormous capacity to carry data of all sorts.  The enormous capacity to capture, store and transmit data has enabled the development of the 'Internet of Things' which describes the network of physical objects—'things'—that are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data with other devices and systems over the internet.  For example, sea containers are all continuously monitored remotely for their location, for the temperature inside them, for their contents etc.  While some of this data may not be needed, it is all there so that managers of these 'things' can determine just what is important to track at any one time.  Another development enabled by advances in communication is 'Big data' a term used to describe a collection of data that is huge in size and yet growing exponentially with time. Big Data analytics examples includes stock exchanges, social media sites, jet engines etc.
Anzac Day 'Gunfire Breakfast' - 25 April
The RSL of WA has advised that the traditional Gunfire Breakfast is on, and a crowd of up to 2,000 is expected from 7.00 am to 9.30 am in Government House Gardens - to be fed by Rotary.  President Don has bet wioth Wesley Sims from Perth Rotary Club to check what is required.  The RSL will provide all the major hardware, with Heirisson helping out with bain maries, cooking utensils, aprons, cleaning gear and gloves - all of which can fit into the presidential Subaru 😊.  Wes estimates that 60 people will be needed on the day (beginning at 6.00 am) and he is rounding up Rotary members and volunteers.  I will be asking Heirisson members to help out and will let him know how many we can provide.  This is a worthy thing to do, so please help if you can.
Location of meetings
As already notified by email, Gloucester Park management have advised that all our meetings – breakfast and evening meetings will be held in the Quinneys Room, which is on the ground floor.
Next Evening Meeting – 6.00 for 7.00 pm, Tuesday 5 April.
Our Guest Speaker at our next evening meeting will be Chris Curnow, who works with Aboriginal ranger groups in the outback, gathering data, managing fire programs and controlling weeds.  Chris has spoken to us before, and at the time, members were keen to hear more about the activities in this domain.  Chris is an interesting and knowledgeable authority in an area that few of us encounter. 

Tomorrow's meeting will be a review by Ken Mullin and Warwick Smith of the presentation to the recent district conference by Danny Ford and Tim Muirhead.

Next Club Evening Meeting:
Tuesday April 5
 6pm dinner start (Quinney's menu) for 7pm meeting to be held downstairs in Quinney's Restaurant Function Room. 
Gloucester Park, 3 Nelson Cres, East Perth WA 6004
Mar 31, 2022
Review of recent District Conference
Apr 05, 2022 7:00 PM
Land management in the Desert
View entire list
Meeting Responsibilities
Meeting 31 March
Hunter, Greg
Evening Meeting 5 April
Crossland, Jim
Meeting 14 April
Walker, Justin
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Member Birthdays
Robin Arndt
March 9
Richard Nolan
March 13
Greg Hunter
April 15
Spouse Birthdays
Bob Grove
March 21
Join Date
Richard Nolan
March 1, 2018
4 years
Sheridan Webb
March 21, 2019
3 years
Keiren Shun
April 1, 2021
1 year
Madeleine Shoebridge
April 1, 2021
1 year
Ken Mullin
April 5, 2012
10 years
Advertisement for ClubRunner Mobile
  Committee Meetings Monthly  
Board Every 3rd Tuesday Board Member homes in Mount Lawley 6.30pm
Club Services Every 2nd Tuesday 29 Woodsome St, Mt Lawley 6.00pm
Every 2nd Wednesday A member's place TBA 6.00pm
International Directorate Every 4th Tuesday Location TBA